When was the last time you enjoyed a kiwi? If it’s been awhile, here’s 8 surprising facts about kiwifruit that may make you reconsider your produce picks.
- Nutrition-wise, kiwi fruits contain about as much potassium as bananas and a high amount of Vitamin C, more than oranges. It is also rich in Vitamins A and E, flavonoids and minerals. The kiwi fruit actually has twice the Vitamin E of an avocado, but has only 60% of the avocado?s calories.
- Though sweet, it’s low in calories.
- Kiwi fruits have high fiber content.
- Among health and beauty junkies, kiwifruits are popular ingredients in DIY face masks. Kiwis are rich in alpha hydroxy fruit acids, vitamin C, E and K. Kiwis are ideal for exfoliating, nourishing and anti-aging.
- The kiwifruit originated from China and was originally called the ‘Chinese Gooseberry’. The name was later changed due to the name being negatively associated with the Cold War.
- Did you know that the kiwifruit was named after its uncanny resemblance to the ‘fuzzy brown kiwi’ – New Zealand’s National Bird.
- Since kiwifruits contain up to 10% of recommended daily folate levels, pregnant ladies are encouraged to consume them for healthier babies!
- Kiwifruit is also packed with blood pressure-lowering potassium. In fact, a 100-gram serving of kiwifruit, that’s about one large kiwi, provides 15% of the Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) of potassium.
Order before 10pm with us for next day delivery, also take advantage of 25% off all your orders for four weeks by using our promotion code Fr425.